Since we’re still in the Strawberry season, I figured cupcakes topped with strawberries were in order ^_^ No food coloring was used to give the cup-cakes their yellow color, our secret is local (Kienyeji) eggs. Their yolk is very yellow. Here is the recipe:
|Chocolate Frosting topped with a Strawberry ^_^
-11/2 cups All-Purpose flour
-11/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
-1/2 cup Sugar
-1/2 cup Margarine
-2 Eggs (Local “Kienyeji” type) – beaten
-1/3 cup Milk
-1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
P/S: If you don’t have the kienyeji eggs, you can still use the regular grade eggs as well.
1.) Preheat oven
to 350 ºF. Line the muffin pans
with cupcake liners and set aside.
2.) In a medium bowl, sift the flour and baking powder together and set aside. Beat the eggs and vanilla essence in a small bowl as well.
3.) In the bowl of the mixer, cream
the sugar & margarine for about 3 – 5 minutes. Then add the eggs and mix thoroughly, about 1 minute.
|Naturally yellow creamed mixture
4.) Alternately add the flour mixture while adding the milk gradually, while folding.
5.) Spoon the batter
into the cupcake liners, 3/4 full.
Place into the oven.
6.) Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick or skewer inserted comes out clean.
7.) Remove from oven and let cool for at least 5 minutes in the muffin pan. Remove the cupcakes from the pan and leave them on a cooling rack
to cool, for about 30 to 40 minutes. They’ll be ready to frost then.
Yield: 12 cupcakes
FOR THE BUTTER CREAM FROSTING:
– 2 cups Icing sugar
– 1/4 cup Margarine
– ½ teaspoon Vanilla essence
– 2 Tablespoons Milk
– (Optional) 2 Tablespoons Cocoa powder
- Sift the icing sugar; then cream the margarine and sugar together for about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the vanilla essence and mix; then slowly add the milk as required until frosting is desired texture.
- If you would like Chocolate Frosting, add the cocoa powder and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Frost the cupcakes.
– Bowl of fresh Strawberries (washed).
- After frosting the cupcakes as desired, top them with the strawberries. Make sure you serve the cupcakes right after topping due to the highly perishable nature of strawberries.
|Cupcakes with plain Frosting
Enjoy your strawberry – topped frosted cupcakes ^_^!