One of my very favorite blogs that I follow is The Cake Blog. I usually bake most of the recipes that they post; with a few tweaks of course, and I’m never disappointed.
This round I decided to share this recipe that I tried off one of their recent posts on an old classic favorite flavor; Peanut Butter and Jelly Cake.
I made a different kind of butter cream frosting than they did; but I was very happy with the result – especially since I baked it for a special someone. Hope you’re able to try it out; make sure you share feedback on your results.
Peanut Butter Cake with Strawberry Jam & Peanut Butter-Cream Frosting
- All-Purpose Flour – 1 1/8 cup
- Baking Powder – 1 1/8 tspn
- Ground Cinnamon – 1/4 tspn
- Sugar – 2/3 cup
- Margarine/Butter – 1/3 cup
- Peanut Butter – 1/3 cup
- Vanilla Essence – 1 tspn
- Eggs – 2 pcs (beaten – in small bowl)
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare two baking pans (I used a love heart pan); you can use round or square 6 or 7 inch pans; grease and flour them, then set aside.
- In a medium bowl; measure and sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon; if using butter add salt to the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl; measure the fat and peanut butter and beat for at least three minutes til well mixed. Add the sugar and cream until a creamy white; if using an electric mixer – for about 3 to 5 minutes. You can also use a balloon whisk and cream until correct texture.
- Add vanilla and eggs into the creamed mixture and mix until well incorporated; for about 2 minutes.
- Pour half the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture and fold with a spatula. Add the rest of the dry ingredients while gradually adding the milk, then fold until the batter is of a drop consistency.
- Pour the batter into one of the prepared pans. Repeat the directions to make a second batch and pour the batter into the second pan and place into your preheated oven. Bake for about 30 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick or skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove your cakes and cool them for about 20 minutes in their pans; then remove them from the baking pans and place on a cooling rack, plate or tray to cool completely.
Peanut Butter Cream Frosting
- Icing Sugar (500gms) – 1 Pkg (Sifted)
- Margarine/Butter – 1/4 cup
- Peanut Butter – 1/4 cup
- Vanilla Essence – 1 tspn
- Milk/Water – 1/8 cup
- Strawberry or Red Plum Jam – 2 Tablespoons
- In a large mixing bowl; measure the fat, peanut butter, vanilla and the sifted icing sugar. Cream the ingredients for about 2 to 3 minutes while gradually adding the liquid. Cream until your frosting is of a creamy texture. Your frosting is ready.
- To assemble the cake; level both the cakes until they both have flat surfaces and brush off the crumbs. Take one of the cakes and set it on your cake board or plate. Pipe a border around the edge of the cake with the peanut butter cream frosting and then spread 1 tablespoon of the jam on the top of the cake. Place the second cake carefully on top the bottom one.
- Pipe another border on the edge of the top cake with butter cream and spread another tablespoon of jam on top of the cake. Frost the sides of the cake with a spatula; pipe a border at the bottom of the cake and if you would like; you can pipe a fleur de lis border on the sides of the cake like the one I did.
Bon Appetit! Enjoy your cake.