Hi there, it’s been a while since I posted a recipe. So let me break that recipe silence with this simple and delicious recipe I tried out in February around Valentine’s Day weekend after all the crazy running around of the workshop and book launch ( which was totally amazing by the way for all those who attended, thanks again ^_^)
I will also share my secret to a very dark chocolate look and taste to the cupcakes that I felt was truly something I should share – the cocoa powder I use in this recipe.
I have been using this cocoa powder for the last two years and it’s amazing. I am not being paid for this review – let me put this out there to be clear – I just love sharing brands that I use and fall in love with ^_^ The cocoa powder is from Maimun supplies, if you would like to order some, they do deliveries, contact this very nice lady called Zainab Lightwalla on 0723424851. Current price of the 500gms package is Kshs. 450 and I promise you won’t regret it.
Now on to the recipe!
Simple Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
- All-Purpose Flour 1 1/4 cup
- Baking Powder 2 tspns
- Cocoa Powder 1/4 cup (I used the Maimun Supplies brand)
- Sugar 1/3 cup
- Margarine 1/3 cup
- Strawberry Cream Essence 1 tspn (Maimun Supplies Brand)
- Eggs 2 pcs
- Milk 3/4 cup
- Cream Frosting (non-dairy) 1 cup – (I used Puratos brand)
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 °F or medium heat if using a charcoal oven. Line a half dozen large muffin pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, measure and sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder together. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs and essence together until mixture has bubbles; set aside.
- In a large bowl, measure the sugar and margarine and cream until white or almost white. You can use a balloon whisk, should take about 5 – 7 minutes. You can also use an electric mixer and cream between 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the egg mixture into your creamed mixture and beat for no more than 1 minute, make sure ingredients are well incorporated.
- Pour half the dry ingredients into your creamed mixture and start folding using a spatula. Pour the rest of the dry ingredients and add the milk gradually while folding. Make sure your batter is of a drop consistency, it’s ready for baking.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners; make sure you don’t fill past 3/4 way.
- Place the muffin pan into the oven, preferably the middle rack and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes or until a skewer or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the muffin pan from oven, place on a shelf to cool for about 5 minutes.
Remove them and place them on a tray or a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile in a large, deep bowl; measure you pre-made non-dairy cream and beat for about 3 to 6 minutes. Don’t over beat, the cream will stiffen if you beat it too long. You can frost your cupcakes white or add a drop or two of pink color to add the color .to your cream frosting.
- Pipe some frosting on top of your cupcakes for decoration after they have cooled completely (about 1 to 2 hours). You can garnish them with sprinkles (I used Maimun supplies pink hearts sprinkles to decorate ^_^)
- Enjoy your cupcakes!
Yield: Six large cupcakes (large muffin-size) or Dozen regular cupcakes
If you do try out this recipe, please feel free to comment below on your results, I will truly appreciate.
If you would like to learn how to make such delicious cakes and cupcakes, please book a spot in our Basic Cake Making and Decoration Short Course and start learning today. Click on this link for more information, Thanks!
Please share this link on your networks to your other baker friends ^_^