1. Preheat the oven to 350 ºF. Then grease and flour a baking sheet and set aside.
2. Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
Sifted dry ingredients
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream the fat (margarine or butter) with the sugar for at least 5 minutes. Add the egg and beat for another 2 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix.
4. Add the flour and milk alternatively at least 3 times, starting and ending with the flour. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
Incorporating the flour into creamed mixture
The dough should not be like batter, cookie dough is drier.
The cookie dough
5. If you would like to bake the cookies immediately (like we did ^_^), shape the dough into balls and then place them into the pan. Flatten them a bit with a spoon dipped in some floor to get the round shape.
Flattened cookie dough ready for baking
(For better results, divide the cookie dough twice; then form two logs and place them in a refrigerator for up to 2 hours until they are firm. Then slice the log into cookie shapes and place them on the baking sheet.)
Cookie dough log
6. Place the cookies into the oven and bake for 20 – 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for about 5 minutes. Then using a spatula, remove the cookies from the pan onto a cooling rack and let them cool completely.
Serve and enjoy the delicious chocolatey goodness ^_^
Baking with Amari offers learning experiences to those who want to experience & know what Bakers & Cake Decorators do in a practical, hands-on settting. We train our students using Cookswell original charcoal ovens. We also offer basic business start-up training for those who want to start small baking businesses. We do groups vocational training anywhere in East Africa as well.
We hold classes in our home-based bakery workshop located on Ndwaru road in Riruta, Nairobi; off Naivasha road, next to Pelida School.
View more posts