This time I want to share a sponge cake recipe with you today.
I’m currently doing a lot of recipe testing with sponge cakes and I’m loving it! I recently tried this spicy version and I just had to share it. Try it out and share what your results are please ^_^ Please note that for a plain Vanilla Sponge cake you can just omit the Cinnamon Powder.
Please note, this is a Biscuit type of Sponge cake.
Spicy Sponge Cake Recipe
All – Purpose Flour – 2/3 cups (90 gms)
Ground Cinnamon – ½ Tablespoon
Caster Sugar – 1/3 cup (70 gms)
Eggs – 4 pieces (medium-sized)
Vanilla Essence – 1 teaspoon (5ml)
- Preheat your oven to 180 °C or 350°F. Grease and line an 8 inch round pan with grease-proof paper on the bottom and sides of the pan.
- In a medium bowl, measure and sift the flour and cinnamon. Sift the dry ingredients again into another medium bowl; then set aside.
- Measure your caster sugar and place it into a small bowl, set aside.
- Separate your eggs; pouring the egg whites into a large mixing bowl and the yolks into a smaller bowl.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed; beat the egg whites until they form soft white peaks. This should take about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Gradually add your caster sugar onto the egg whites mixture a table spoon at a time; beating after each addition to incorporate the sugar. (This also ensures that you will maintain the volume of the egg whites) Add the vanilla and beat for about half a minute to incorporate. This step will take about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now add your egg yolks, one at a time, in order to maintain the volume. Beat each egg yolk into the egg white mixture thoroughly after each addition. This should take about 2 minutes and your mixture will be a nice pale yellow.
- Using a spatula; sift and fold in your dry ingredients into the egg & sugar mixture three separate times. Make sure you sift and fold very gently each time. At the same time, you don’t want to take too long folding; your sponge cake batter might collapse. Ensure you have incorporated the flour and cinnamon thoroughly.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking pan and place it in your oven; preferably in the middle rack.
- Bake the cake for about 20 to 25 minutes. You can also check it with a skewer or cake tester to make sure it is baked.
- Remove sponge cake from oven and leave to cool in pan for about 5 minutes. You can then remove the sponge from pan, peel off the grease-proof paper and set on a cooling rack to cool completely. This should take no longer than an hour.
- You can then frost your cake with cream frosting and enjoy!
We chose to frost ours with some left over non-dairy cream frosting that had been whipped up a day before and colored purple.
If you’re new at separating eggs; just pour the egg white of each egg into a separate bowl first; then pour it into the large bowl. This will avoid contamination of your egg whites in case any egg yolks break into the white. You must ensure that no egg yolks mix with the egg whites in the first part of mixing. The whites will not beat to capacity and required volume if this happens. Click here to watch a video on 3 ways of separating eggs.
*The more you sift your dry ingredients; the lighter they become and are therefore easier to fold into your sponge batter. This recipe uses triple sifted dry ingredients (flour & cinnamon); you can however choose to quadruple it as well (or sift even more ^_^)
*You can choose to fill and decorate this sponge cake as you wish. You can fill it with cherry or strawberry filling and frost with fresh cream frosting or non-dairy frosting as preferred.
P/S: If you would like to learn how to bake sponge cakes; we offer practical cake-making classes in Nairobi, Kenya – click here for details. We also have online classes – Click here to inquire.
If you would like to get the recipe ebook which has recipes on sponge cakes & other various types of cakes, cookies and breads; click on this link for more details.
The Recipe ebook is also available on Amazon- Click here.
If you have any baker or bakerette friends in your network; make sure you share this recipe with them – they’ll love you for it ^_^
2 thoughts on “Easy Sponge Cake Recipe”
Hello, im looking for someone who can bake and deliver a cake for my husband who is at the moment at Nanyuki, you know where or who can help me out, many thanks!! Kind Regards!!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Got your message and replied to it, thanks.